801 APPLICANTS VIE FOR FOR 346 BEACH SHACKS

PANJIM: The tourism department has received a total of 801 applications to erect beach shacks in the coming tourist season. There has been an increase in the demand for beach shacks from the previous season's 638 applications.
"Today (Friday) is the last date for the receipt of applications, and we have received 801 this year," a tourism department official told TOI after the counter was shut for the day. The total number of slots available is 346 shacks - 240 shacks will be permitted on the North coastal belt while 106 shacks will be permitted in the South. The draw of lots will be held over two days - September 28 for North Goa and September 29 for South Goa.
Like last season, 90% of the shacks have been reserved for those with experience. These slots will be decided by a draw of lots. The remaining 10% will also be allotted by draw of lots for new applicants. The tourism department has also specified that on certain beach stretches where five shacks or less are allowed, the allotment will be decided on the basis of experience.
It maybe recalled here that last year's shack policy which was in favour of the Shack Owners Welfare Society (SOWS) was challenged by The Goan Traditional Shack Owners Association (TGTSOA). SOWS even appealed before the Supreme Court after the high court issued an interim order in favour of the lottery system. However, the apex court said it found no reason to intervene with the impugned order of the high court.

3 comments:

John Athaide said...

How many ghantis? No Goan will get it without giving a suitcase to the tourism minister halarnkar. Ghantis come down with suitcases fully prepared as they know well the conditions prevailing in Goa.

Bebdo said...

AN APPEAL
I am very happy to note that the hits to this site is improving. At last count, I saw there were nearly 3,000. The moment we cross, say 25,000 hits or so, then the fence-sitting Goans and the 40 chors will take us seriously.
SO PLS FORWARD THE LINK OF THIS SITE TO AS MANY GOANS AS POSSIBLE.

Robert said...

Mickey mouse will miss the share of the shack fellows, he must be fuming as season gone bad.

Post a comment